People are celebrating the power of using artificial intelligence (AI) to write blogs. I see some folks flexing about publishing hundreds a day — a terrible idea, in my opinion.
And here’s my reasoning for it:
- Competing on quantity is a losing game. There’ll always be a techie or corporation that can create exponentially more content than you.
- Managing and updating all that mediocre content is an operational nightmare.
- You get stuck in this cycle of crappy content creation.
Don’t get me wrong. I’m not against using AI in content creation. Quite the opposite, actually. But I think the true power of AI lies in repurposing original content.
That’s why I’ve adopted the 3 Rs principle. (No, I’m not talking about sorting your plastic and paper.)
In the content marketing context, it stands for reduce, repurpose, and recycle.
- Reduce low-quality, unnecessary, and repetitive content. Less fluff and more stuff should be your mantra.
- Repurpose existing content as much as you can before creating new content.
- Recycle old content. Update and refresh older, evergreen content. It extends the lifespan of your content and improves your SEO.
Now, let’s see how AI can assist with this.
How AI content repurposing works
To repurpose content, start with a long-form content like a blog post, webinar, report, or whitepaper. This is your starting point, your foundation. Then, use AI-powered tools to create smaller pieces of content from your main content. It gives you more content to distribute through different social media platforms.
It’s like cutting a giant cake into smaller, bite-sized pieces. Each slice is still delicious, but now you have more to share.
Pro tip: Define your business goal before you start repurposing content.
For example, if your goal is blog traffic, you might send curiosity-driven emails to your subscribers and drive them to your website. But, if your aim is lead generation, you might bundle related articles into an eBook and offer it as gated content.
Examples of AI content repurposing
Macro content: Podcasts
Here’s an example workflow for content repurposing workflow when podcasts are the macro content:
- Transcribe the podcast: Convert the podcast audio into a written transcript. This can be done using AI-powered transcribing tools.
- Repackage as YouTube videos: Use AI-enabled YouTube software to create video descriptions, timestamps, titles, and YouTube shorts.
- Convert audio to blog posts: AI tools can analyze your audio, select key points, and transform them into full blog posts. You can then manually edit the text to match your brand voice, add relevant media, and optimize for SEO.
- Repurpose podcasts as email newsletters: Use AI email marketing tools to summarize the main takeaways from your podcast. Now, send them out as part of your regular email newsletter updates. Include links to the full podcast episode or blog post, depending on your content strategy.
- Generate social media content with AI: Use AI-driven social media tools to extract interesting quotes, statistics, or insights from the podcast or blog post and turn them into bite-sized social media posts. Use relevant hashtags and engaging visuals to maximize reach and engagement.
- Break up the audio into video snippets: AI video generators can identify engaging moments or soundbites from the podcast and create short video clips. Add sound waves and captions to make the videos more interesting and accessible.
- Create infographics: Condense complex information from the podcast into visually appealing infographics. Offer the infographics for free use on credible third-party websites, requesting a backlink in return. This can help build your domain trust and help your blog posts rank better.
- Compile podcasts as an ebook: Compile a collection of related podcast episodes into an ebook. Add additional insights, case studies, and resources to provide maximum value to readers.
- Record an online course: Repurpose your podcast as an online course. Use AI course generators to create your course outline.
Recommended tools for this workflow:
- Descript — for podcast editing, video editing
- Frase AI — for AI-assisted blog writing and content optimization
- WritePanda — for newsletter creation, video snippets, and social content.
- Canva AI — for graphics and e-book
- Micro-course generator — for online courses.
Macro content: Live webinar
Here’s an AI content repurposing workflow when webinars are your macro content:
- Transcribe the webinar: Convert the recording into a text format using an AI transcribing tool.
- Gate the on-demand recording: A good percentage of people will miss the live session thanks to the complexities of different time zones or personal schedules. Ignoring them is leaving money on the table. So, make the webinar available as an on-demand recording on your website to capture these leads. Use an AI writing tool to create your landing page copy.
- Create a podcast episode: Strip the webinar audio to repackage it as a podcast episode. Edit the content to remove the pauses and filler words like “ums” and “ahs.” Now, add the intro and outro and upload the episode to your favorite podcast platforms. AI podcast editing tools can easily automate most of this.
- Create a blog post: Pull out the main ideas, insights, and highlights from the webinar transcript and craft a blog post. Add visuals, quotes, and relevant links. Use AI content optimization tools to optimize your post for organic traffic.
- Produce short video content: Identify interesting segments from the webinar and create short video clips. These can be shared on social media platforms as teasers for the on-demand webinars.
- Create text-based social media posts: Extract key points, data, or exciting insights from the webinar and turn them into compelling social media posts. Use your LinkedIn post or Twitter thread to drive traffic to your macro content.
- Develop an e-book or whitepaper: Convert the webinar into an e-book or whitepaper. Add additional insights, statistics, and case studies to make it comprehensive.
- Distribute via email newsletter: Share all repurposed content, including blog posts, infographics, e-books or whitepapers, and on-demand recordings, through your email newsletter. This allows you to reach out directly to your subscribers’ inboxes, providing them with valuable content and keeping your brand top of mind.
Recommended tools for this workflow:
- Sessions.us — for webinar hosting and recording.
- WordPress for gated content.
- Descript — for podcast editing and video editing.
- Opus Clips — for AI-powered video repurposing
- Frase AI — for AI-assisted SEO blog writing, whitepaper, and E-book content.
- WritePanda — for newsletter content, video snippets, and social content.
- Canva AI — for graphics and e-book design.
These are two possible workflows; you can tweak them based on your needs and content strategy.
Best AI tools for repurposing content
Descript is an AI content repurposing tool that enables content creators to repurpose content for social media. It’s one of my favorite tools for transcribing and editing podcasts and videos. You can transcribe your podcast and use the text as the foundation to write a comprehensive blog post. It saves time and ensures no original nuances are lost when repurposing content.
Shorter, punchy content does very well on Instagram, TikTok, and YouTube shorts. With Descript’s text-based editor, repurposing longer video or audio content is as easy as selecting the text and generating smaller clips for each social media platform. Here’s a video showing that in action.
Beyond transcription and editing, Descript offers features like screen and webcam recording, an Overdub feature (to replace audio without re-recording), and the option to publish directly to different video and podcast hosting platforms.
Opus Clip is a generative AI video tool that helps you amplify your content by turning key segments of your longer videos into micro-content. It works best for conversation-driven videos longer than 15 minutes, like podcasts, educational content, commentaries, product reviews, or motivational speeches. So, you might not see the same results if you’re making vlogs or music videos.
Here’s how it works: The AI tool analyzes your long-form video content, spots the juicy bits, and generates multiple short videos quickly.
It even calculates a “virality score” for each clip, using data from a ton of viral videos. While I’m not sure how accurate this score is, it’s a nice experimental feature that you can split-test.
The AI detects moving faces and focuses the video on the speaker using the auto-track feature. This type of content generation saves editing time because you don’t have to set the focus for every clip manually.
The output video comes with automatically generated captions. The captions are not 100% accurate but only need light editing. And you don’t have to worry about the ‘umms’ or ‘ahhs’ – Opus Pro strips out filler words for a clean, crisp sound. It’s an excellent software to amplify your videos for social media content.
Viral videos: The AI tool provides a powerful “Viral Clips” feature that automatically creates short captioned clips for your YouTube videos. With the help of AI, WritePanda automatically identifies critical hooks in the long-form video content. It then converts that into short, catchy clips. This feature saves content creators valuable time and effort by eliminating the need to edit and highlight clips manually. Users can instantly generate viral clips by simply providing the YouTube link and selecting a template. It’s a game-changer for anyone looking to expand their YouTube audience and increase engagement.
Chat with PDFs: One helpful feature is the ability to feed WritePanda PDFs, books, websites, and blog articles. The AI can understand and answer your questions about the content in a few minutes. It’s incredibly convenient for anyone needing to extract information from large documents quickly. You can instruct the AI to repurpose content into scripts, key points, or notes.
Timestamps: WritePanda offers many features to enhance your podcast production workflow. One of my favorite features is the ability to effortlessly generate accurate show notes and timestamps. Typically, you’d have to manually review the episode and mark the timestamps, consuming valuable time and effort. With WritePanda, you can automate this process, saving you tons of time.
Titles and show notes: With WritePanda, you can quickly create concise and engaging show notes that give your listeners a quick understanding of what each episode covers. The timestamps feature allows your audience to jump to specific parts of the podcast. It also generates ten titles for each episode, so you can pick one or combine different ones to create your version.
Translate to different languages: You can translate the transcribed text to 50+ languages with this AI tool. You can then download the translated text as an SRT file (a standard format for subtitles) and upload it to YouTube or any video platform that supports caption files. This makes your video more accessible and helps you reach wider audiences.
Repurposing content across multiple languages maximizes your reach and increases your chances of reaching your target audience.
Stellar customer support: Another aspect that I find particularly helpful is WritePanda’s customer support. They’ve been very responsive in situations where I needed their assistance.
Castmagic is another AI-powered content repurposing tool focusing on Podcasts. You can upload your audio in MP3 format or as a YouTube link.
Castmagic uses AI to transcribe your audio, generate show notes, and create social media assets — these tasks that used to take several hours can now be done in minutes. I’ve found the transcripts pretty accurate, although they need some editing and proofreading before it’s usable.
The show notes feature is quite handy as it allows me to give the listeners a brief overview of the episode and helps with SEO. I also appreciate the timestamped overview, which makes for easy navigation through the podcast episodes.
Another standout feature is the Magic Chat. It gives you an AI assistant to answer questions about your podcast. Magic Chat becomes an interactive tool between you and your podcast, giving you any information discussed. Say you mentioned an interesting fact or statistic in your podcast — simply ask Magic Chat, and it will promptly provide it, saving you a lot of research time.
Castmagic also generates social media content. The LinkedIn posts and Tweet threads are good for promoting your episodes, but they’ll need minor editing to fit your brand voice and style.
While it’s not the cheapest AI tool to repurpose your content, it’s worth it if you’re a content creator looking to reach different platforms.